Syracuse University Crafter License Program Overview
The Crafter License allows independent artisans to participate in Syracuse University’s licensing program by legally producing products depicted with Syracuse University’s name, marks and logos, while still allowing the University to maintain the integrity of its brand.
A Crafter is defined as an individual producing domestic handcrafted items in the home with collegiate marks for the sale to individual consumers via events or direct sales. This program is ideal for fans and alumni who are interested in producing small quantities of merchandise to sell or distribute at places such as craft fairs, street festivals, farmer’s markets, church and school events or online direct-to-consumer platforms such as etsy or personal website.
Before an individual or business may use the University’s name, marks and logos, formal permission must be granted through a license agreement.
- Crafters must completely fill out the Crafter License Application Form (“Application”)
- An image or photograph of the proposed product intended for sale bearing the University’s logos or marks, cost of the product, and production cost.
- All Syracuse themed items must adhere to the of the University.
- Please note that the Application is a proposal only and does not authorize the submitter to manufacture or distribute any merchandise that bears the name, marks and logos of Syracuse University. The Application allows the University to review your product for potential licensing and does not constitute permission to begin production and/or offering products for sale. Unauthorized use of Syracuse University’s marks is a violation of both state and federal law.
Guidelines/Requirements for Crafter License
- Sales to wholesalers, retailers or any third-party seller are not permitted.
- All items must be handmade. No commercially manufactured items are allowed.
- The University reserves the right to request a sample from the Crafter at any time as determined by the Trademark Licensing Agreement
- If the University approves the Crafter’s Application, you will receive a Crafter License Agreement, which you should read and understand before signing and returning to the University.
- The term of the Crafter License Agreement is one year commencing quarterly and the annual license royalty advance and fee is $100.
- Sales of $0 -$1,000 annual are covered by your annual advance licensing royalty and fee of $100. Sales above $1,000 will incur 10% royalty thereafter and licensee is responsible for accurate reporting of sales and royalty.
- Crafter licenses are no longer valid after the one year term and additional approvals are required by Office of Trademark Licensing following the fifth year term of licensure.
- Products can not be sold before the University approves your application and you have received a fully executed Crafter License Agreement and a Syracuse University Official Craft License Certificate.
- Return the signed Crafter License Agreement as well as a check or money order for the annual licensing fee $100.
- The Official Craft License Certificate must be on display at all points of sale. You may want to place the certificate in a frame for display purposes.
- Prior approval is required from licensing office for sales of 500 units or more than $2500 in a contract year (for information on a license for sales that exceed these criteria, you may be referred to com).
- Products that may pose a risk to a consumer, such as branded metal-work, may require product liability insurance with Syracuse University listed as an additional insured.
If you believe you meet the criteria for the Syracuse University Crafter License Program we encourage you to apply!