To license a product using the trademarks of Syracuse University, please contact IMG College Licensing (IMGCL). IMGCL will initiate and administer the licensing process which will include the steps below.
Due to the large number of licensing requests that we receive, please do not call the Office of Trademark Licensing to check on the status of your application.
First, determine what type of license you would like to apply for.
You will be asked to:
- Complete the application form.
- Complete 3 reference forms. Each form must be verified and executed by the appropriate references.
- Bank Reference Form
- Credit Reference Form
- Insurance Reference Form
- Provide a Marketing and Distribution Plan.
- Attached to the application will be a format for providing this information. IMGCL must have your plans for marketing and distributing collegiate products. This includes current distribution capabilities, advertising plans and sales projections.
- Indicate the schools for which you are interested in becoming licensed. In addition to licensing for Syracuse University, you may request licensing for other schools within the IMGCL licensing program at that time.
- Remit a $100 non-refundable application fee.
Once your application is submitted and accepted, you will enter into Phase II of the licensing process. This includes forwarding to IMGCL, within 60 days, artwork and/or samples incorporating your desired use of the University’s marks. You will be asked to do the following:
- Complete an Artwork Approval Form for each design that you will be producing
- Send one quality sample of each product for which you are requesting a licensure. Samples are at the expense of the applicant and will not be returned
Once your artwork has been approved for appropriate trademark designations and PMS colors, samples will be reviewed by IMGCL’s Product Review Committee. The following criteria will be evaluated:
- Product/Logo Application Quality
- Need for additional licensees in product category
- Need for additional product through distribution capabilities
- Uniqueness of designs, products, and/or logo application
- Marketing and promotional capabilities
- Company location
- Royalty/Compliance history with IMGCL (if applicable)
- Price Points
IMGCL’s recommendation for approval or disapproval will be based on Syracuse University’s needs as they pertain to the above criteria. Syracuse University will make the final decision as to whether or not your product is approved. The Phase II process takes at least four weeks.
Once you are notified in writing by IMGCL that your product is approved, you will enter into Phase III – License Agreement Execution. The following requirements must be met:
- Product Liability Insurance: You will be asked to provide proof of $1,000,000 of product liability insurance naming IMG College Licensing, all institutions represented by IMGCL for which insured is licensed and their respective officers, agents and employees are additional insured. The additional insured endorsements must be in compliance with the endorsement form CG 20261186.
- “Official Licensed Collegiate Product” (OLCP) Label: You will be asked to submit verification that the OLCP label shall be affixed to all merchandise bearing the marks of Syracuse University to IMGCL. This must be done in the form of a finished sample of each product for which you are requiring a licensure.
Upon completion of these requirements, you will be required to pay advanced royalty fees and these will vary depending upon the category of product you are licensing.
Please remember that until an agreement is executed, you remain unauthorized to manufacture and distribute merchandise bearing the marks of Syracuse University. Upon completion of all requirements listed above, you will receive a fully executed copy of your license agreement from IMG College Licensing.